Tuesday, August 14, 2007

AT W2 - Ecological Footprint

Ecological Footprint

I have taken this quiz before, and I really think that even with just a few short questions it has a strong impact on thinking about the way you live. I live in a small brick house and drive 15 miles a day, create just 1 average size bag of trash per week and yet if everyone lived like me we would need 3.9 planets! My total footprint is 18 acres, with the average in the US being 24 and with just 4.5 biologically productive acres per person worldwide.

I live in a walkable neighborhood with grocery, restaurants and bars all within walking distance. I mow my small lawn with a push mower with no motor, drive a fuel-efficient vehicle, and rarely water my plants or lawn. I recycle just about everything I can, at work and home. I could improve my score by eating less meat and dairy, but I love cheese! I would love to travel by motorbike, but I am not quite ready for that kind of commitment. I don't really need to use air conditioning, but my boyfriend works from home and I think he would have gone insane if he had no AC these past few weeks! We do have a programmable thermostat.

I am so interested in everyone's scores! Can't wait to see them.

3 comments:

werner said...

I have a footprint of 16/3.9 planets: food 5.4, mobility 1 (despite bicycling to work!, but including the occational flight (10 hrs)), shelter 5.7, goods 4.4. If I would become vegan, my food would drop to 2.7/3.1 planets. Moving back to Switzerland and keeping my current livestyle would drop my footprint down to 2.2 planets.Hmm...

Anonymous said...

Yes, had we turned off the A/C I certainly would have gone insane and probably resorted to working at a local coffee shop. Of course that would also mean I could rationalize that new MacBook Pro I've been wanting...

Kyle Basilius said...

Listen i dont know how you have a better footprint than me. You have a house with a terrible HVAC system that isn't even sized correctly,and you drive your Passat around like its your JOB...though you do not use your AC in it so you prob save the planet some Carbon emissions. I live in a tiny apt, and am very neat and tidy and recycle everything! I walk to work, have you drive me to class, and eat very little as to help save the planet. Since I live such a "horribly un-ecological" lifestyle I am glad I am buying a BMW 2 door 328ci 6 cylinder so I can teach the world just how horribly Un-ecological I can be!! Steve get your mac pro!! they are the best...I am gonna get leopard update from my Paps when it comes out.